Saturday, March 23, 2013

Natural Skin: Oil Cleansing and Honey Wash

Sometimes being comfortable in your skin is difficult. I've had issues with oily and acne prone skin since Junior High and they didn't go away with age. I've used all sorts of products in battling my skin problems and most of them do not work (at least for me). I did have one small period of extremely clean, healthy looking skin and that was, luckily, right before my wedding. I used Proactiv for about a year before my wedding and after about 6 months of using it, I had beautiful clear skin. Another 6 months went by before it completely stopped working. Since then, I've tried all sorts of things that dried out and literally burned my face.  As far as makeup goes, I've used Covergirl, Arbonne, Mary Kay, Bare Minerals, Avon, Flower Cosmetics, and Merle Norman. For me, Merle Norman works the best.
**Update** I tried following methods for about 3 months. It seemed like my face would clear and then break completely out again. Now I have switched to Clinique's ache line for wash and makeup. My face seems to be doing better, but it seems that I'll always struggle. Out of everything natural I ttried though, pure honey seemed to have the best results for me.
I'm tired of using chemicals that don't seem to help and cost a lot of money to even try.  So far, I've spent about $15 buying oils that can be used for other things as well.  I made a sugar scrub out of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Honey, and Brown Sugar, all of which I already had in my pantry.  Recipe: 2 cups brown sugar, 1/4 cup Honey, 1/2 cup Olive Oil.  I will be using it twice a week to exfoliate.  I love it so far and even made an extra to give to my mom.

In looking for the newest thing, I've come across the Oil Cleanse Method (OCM). Sounds crazy. It is. The idea is that oil dissolves oil. I have super oily skin and yesterday, I rubbed Castor Oil, Grape seed Oil, and Tea Tree Oil on my face, put a wet towel on my face for a couple of minutes, wiped the oil off, and then applied more grape seed oil. My skin smelled a little strange, was extremely soft, and was definitely moisturized. In reviewing this method, there are people who love it and people who swear it damaged their skin. I don't have much to lose since my skin is already broken out. I'm using this method

This morning, I rubbed uber sticky raw honey all over my face and left it for 15 minutes. Leaving it wasn't so bad, it was the initial stickiness that is going to be the hurdle. I was surprised to find that after washing it off, my skin felt amazing. My pores were smaller and my face felt and looked extremely clean. I haven't found a negative review for using Honey yet. I found this idea here.

Straight out of the shower. From a distance it doesn't look so bad. 
I'm going to chronicle my journey in this and I really hope that in a few weeks you'll see a different picture than the ones posted below. It's extremely hard for me to post these pictures because I spend time every morning trying to make sure that all of it is covered up. Of course, I don't pile on heavy makeup so I know people still see, but it makes me feel better at least.

Right Side.  I always have trouble with my cheeks and neck. 
Left Side. Ugh!
Right side with Makeup.
Left Side with Makeup.
Makeup.  I wanted to end with one that I'm ok with. This is how I leave the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment